Kate Rusby - Hand Me Down - New Ltd Numbered Orange 2LP
Format: New Sealed LP Label: Pure Records Cat. No: PRVIN63 Barcode: 5060066680450 Released: 22/01/2021
Limited edition orange double vinyl - hand numbered - limited to 1000 copies.
Kate Rusby's album, Hand Me Down, started life a few years ago whilst she was rehearsing for the Jo Whiley Show on BBC Radio 2. Jo asks her live music guests to perform songs of their own plus any cover version of their choice, Kate's choice at that time was Oasis' "Don't Go Away"; on her second visit to the show she chose by 'Friday I'm in Love' by The Cure.
"As a folk singer, it's what I do, re-interpret existing songs, but usually the songs are much, much older. After playing a version of Oasis' 'Don't Go Away' on the BBC Radio 2 Jo Whiley show, about 5 years ago, it dawned on me that not just the very old songs are handed down through the generations, but also favourite songs of any age, of any generation. Songs are precious for many different reasons. With 'Don't Go Away' proving so popular on the last album and hearing the reaction when we performed it on tour, I decided, "Right, that's it! I am doing a whole album of covers."
"It was always the plan to make this album this year, lock-down just made it more intimate. We have laughed and we have cried, we have danced and we have sung. All of that is here, engrained in every track."
- Manic Monday (written by Prince and a hit for The Bangles in 1986)
- Everglow (Coldplay)
- Days (The Kinks/Kirsty McColl)
- If I Had a Boat (Lyle Lovett)
- Maybe Tomorrow (from The Littlest Hobo, a Canadian TV series, performed by Terry Bush)
- The Show (Connie TV series theme song, written by Willy Russell, performed by Rebecca Storm)
- Shake It Off (Taylor Swift)
- True Colours (Cindi Lauper)
- Carolina On My Mind (James Taylor)
- Love of The Common People (Paul Young)
- Friday I’m In Love (The Cure)
- Three Little Birds (Bob Marley)